Jul 19, 2024  
2014-2015 Graduate Catalog 
2014-2015 Graduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Graduate School and Regulations




Mission Statement

The Graduate School was established to provide opportunities for improving professional competency through advanced study and research, to promote the welfare of society in general by developing a broad, deep understanding of human knowledge, and to prepare students for further graduate study. To implement such opportunities, the university offers students the daily use of its library and laboratories and interaction with experienced scholars. Graduate students assume significant responsibility in selecting a specialized program that best meets their particular needs.

The Graduate Council

The Graduate Council was formed to enable a cadre of faculty with significant experience and achievement in graduate education to assist in the review of issues pertaining to graduate studies on campus. Working with the director of the Graduate School, the Graduate Council serves to assess and implement initiatives that foster successful graduate programs.

In addition to serving as an advisory body, the members of the Graduate Council make policy recommendations for the Graduate School and serve as the final arbiter for student-related appeals. Members of the Graduate Council are appointed for three-year terms by the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs in consultation with the director of the Graduate School and the deans of the academic colleges. The appointment of college representatives is made on  a staggered schedule to maintain continuity of experience.

The Graduate Council meets at least once per month to review student appeals and approve candidacy for membership to the Graduate Faculty. A complete listing of the meeting dates and locations, as well as forms for submission of appeals and faculty recommendations, can be found at www.ulm.edu/gradschool.

Members of the Graduate Council:

College of Arts, Education, and Sciences
       Dr. Jana Giles
       Dr. Kim Tolson
       Vacant position to be filled Fall 2014

College of Business and Social Sciences
       Dr. Carl Kogut
       Dr. Attapol Kuanliang
       Dr. Donna Luse
       Dr. Jack Palmer     

College of Health and Pharmaceutical Sciences
       Dr. Johanna Boult, chair
       Dr. Patti Calk
       Dr. Amal Kaddoumi
       Dr. Paul Sylvester

Ex-Officio: Dr. Leonard Clark, Director of the Graduate School 

The Research Council

The Research Council was formed to enable a cadre of faculty with significant research experience and achievement to assist in the review of campus research issues and to implement research policy. Working with the director of the Graduate School, the Research Council serves to assess and implement initiatives that foster successful faculty and student research endeavors.

Members of the Research Council:

College of Arts, Education, and Sciences
        Dr. John Anderson
        Dr. Monica Bontty
        Dr. Youssef Dib
        Dr. Allison Wiedemeier

College of Business and Social Sciences
        Dr. Laurie Babin
        Dr. Christine Berry

College of Health and Pharmaceutical Sciences
        Dr. Judy Fellows
        Dr. Paula Griswold
        Dr. Karen Briski
        Dr. Christopher Gissendanner
        Dr. Amal Kaddoumi
        Dr. Girish Shah

Ex-Officio: Mr. Don Smith, Ms. Ivona Jukic, Dr. Leonard Clark

Student Responsibility

All universities establish certain requirements which must be met before a degree is granted. These requirements concern courses, majors and minors, and residency. A student’s major professor, school director, and dean will help them meet these requirements, but the student is ultimately responsible for ensuring they are fulfilled. Upon completion of coursework, the university will determine whether the student is eligible for a degree. If the requirements have not been met, the degree will not be awarded until the deficient requirements have been fulfilled. For this reason it is important for each student to be well-acquainted with their degree requirements and to maintain regular contact with their academic adviser.

It is necessary in the general administration of the university to establish broad policies, regulations, and procedures that students, faculty, and staff are expected to adhere to.

The catalog makes public the general policies governing the Graduate School and its students, which can be used by current and prospective students to learn about the University of Louisiana at Monroe. The Graduate Catalog also to states policies, requirements, regulations, and procedures that will guide students throughout their graduate coursework. Graduate students are expected to assume responsibility for becoming fully acquainted with and abiding by the regulations and requirements of the Graduate School as outlined in the Graduate Catalog.

Attendance Policy

No institutional attendance policy exists for graduate students, and is instead established by individual faculty members. Graduate students are required to consult their course syllabus for each class to find specific attendance policies. If the instructor over a course believes the number of absences to be excessive, the student may be asked by the instructor and respective college graduate coordinator to withdraw from the course completely or receive an incomplete grade.

For online courses, students are required to show periodic online activity as a demonstration of attendance. If a student has not logged into their course by the end of the first week of classes, they will be dropped from the roster.

Non-Discrimination Policy

The University of Louisiana at Monroe recognizes that members of the university community represent different groups according to sex, color, creed, national origin, and physical or mental disability. The university further recognizes that, in a pluralistic society such as ours, these differences must be recognized and respected by all who intend to be a part of the ULM community.

It is not the intent of the university to dictate feelings or to mandate how individuals should personally interact with others. It is, however, the intent of the university that awareness of individual and group rights according to sex, race, color, creed, national origin, and physical or mental disability be regarded as important to the education of its students. Our ability to work in a pluralistic society demands no less.

It is with this in mind that the university does not permit any actions, including verbal or written statements, that discriminate against an individual or group on the basis of sex, race, color, creed, national origin, or physical or mental disability. Any such action is a violation of the Student Code of Conduct. Complaints of discrimination should be made orally and in writing to the appropriate university administrator.

Services for Students with Special Needs

ULM strives to serve students with special needs through compliance with Sections 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act. These laws mandate that postsecondary institutions provide equal access to programs and services for students with disabilities without creating changes to essential elements of the curriculum. While students with special needs are expected to meet our institution’s academic standards, they are given the opportunity to fulfill learner outcomes in alternative ways. Examples of accommodations may include, but are not limited to, testing accommodations (oral testing, extended time for exams), interpreters, relocation of inaccessible classrooms, permission to audiotape lectures, note-taking assistance, and course substitutions.

The University Counseling Center offers a number of opportunities for students with special needs. Whether a physical limitation, learning disability, or any other issue, the UCC works with the student to eliminate or lessen these barriers to their academic success. UCC services include providing support to students with permanent or temporary exceptionalities, individual counseling, and assistance with academic accommodations. The UCC can make recommendations to both students and faculty, and works to heighten the awareness of these issues on campus. Special housing and parking accommodations are also available.

The University Counseling Center acts as the point of entry for individuals who have documented learning disabilities, psychological, or physical needs. Accommodation decisions are made on an individual basis. The Counseling Center director works with the student to evaluate the effects of the student’s disability in relation to the curriculum and academic standards. During this process, faculty and other campus representatives may be consulted. After an appropriate solution is determined, the student will be required to complete a Special Needs Accommodation Form. This form authorizes the release of a student’s disability information to their instructors, who will be notified in writing of the requested classroom accommodations for the student. The documentation and accommodation letters are retained in the student’s file with the UCC so that the student can return at the beginning of each semester to complete any additional Special Needs Accommodation Forms pertinent to the coursework for that semester. The UCC can also aid students in obtaining a Special Needs Parking Pass by using the same form.

The University Counseling Center is open Monday through Thursday from 7:30am until 5:00pm and Fridays from 7:30am until 11:30am.

Karen Foster, Director
Contact: (318) 342-5220
Web site: www.ulm.edu/counselingcenter/ 

Credit Hour System and Course Numbering

The value of each course of instruction is stated in terms of semester hours. A credit or semester hour represents a minimum of one hour of class work or two or more hours of laboratory work a week, together with the necessary preparation for one semester of approximately fifteen weeks. The value of each course of instruction is stated in terms of semester hours.

Starting with the Fall 2010 semester, courses are listed with a four-digit course number. Previous years utilized a three-digit course number; to find the equivalent course under the new system, add a zero after the first digit of the old three-digit course number. For example, the current ENGL 1001 is the former ENGL 101, and RADT 4011 was previously RADT 411.

Courses at ULM are numbered according to the following system: 

1000 to 1099: Freshman level
2000 to 2099: Sophomore level
3000 to 3099: Junior level
4000 to 4099: Senior level
5000 to 5099: Graduate level
6000 to 6099: Courses above master’s level
7000 to 7099: Doctor of Education courses coordinated by the Louisiana Education Consortium (LEC) and Doctor of Philosophy in Marriage and Family Therapy courses

Courses for the Ph.D. in Pharmacy range from 4000 to 6099. Certain courses in the 4000 level are accepted for graduate credit as indicated. Graduate status is required for graduate credit in these courses.

Course Load

A full-time graduate student may schedule from 9 to 18 semester hours during a regular semester. A full-time graduate student in the College of Health and Pharmaceutical Sciences may schedule from 12 to 18 semester hours during a regular semester. A part-time student may schedule limited course work depending upon the time which can be devoted to graduate study. A graduate student who is awarded a graduate assistantship or a graduate work-study position must be a full-time student. For policies regarding graduate assistantships, please see the appropriate catalog section.

In all cases, the Director of the Graduate School must approve a student’s request to enroll in a course load exceeding 12 semester hours during a regular semester. The maximum course load for a graduate student registered during any single summer session is seven semester hours, and the minimum during any single summer session is three semester hours.

Grading System

End of semester grades are generally available after the end of the fourth working day following each term. Students should visit the Banner self-serve website (Banner.ulm.edu) to view grade results.

Grades and the grading process are major components of a university’s academic standards. An important professional obligation of university faculty is the determination of grades. Grades accomplish two essential purposes: they communicate to the academic community and to the community at large a certified level of academic achievement, and they provide realistic and reliable feedback for students to use in evaluating individual progress and making decisions about the future.

Effective grading requires evaluation of the scope, depth, and degree of difficulty for each course. Controls are in place to ensure that students have proper academic qualifications for enrolling in each course, and adequate measures of performance are used to evaluate a student’s progress. Taking into account all students who would properly and typically enroll in a given course, faculty members assign grades according to the following general guidelines to indicate the quality or status of a student’s work:

A (excellent, 4.0 points)
B (average, 3.0 points)
C (below average, 2.0 points)
D (poor, 1.0 point)
F (failure, 0.0 points)
AU (audit does not imply class attendance)
W (withdrew)
I (incomplete, 0.0 points)
IP (in progress)
CR (credit)
NC (no credit)

When calculating your GPA, each credit hour is given a number of points based on your grade. Plus and minus grade designations are not factored into your GPA. For example, a 3 credit hour course in which a grade of B+ is given would be worth 9 points; if the same student also got an A in another 3 credit hour course during the same term that would be worth 12 more points. The average of the student’s two courses would calculate to a 3.5 cumulative GPA.

Work which is of satisfactory quality but which, due to circumstances beyond the student’s control, is not complete, may be given an I grade.  The student must then work with the instructor over the course to address the deficiency within the first month of the next regular semester or within the first two weeks of either summer term of attendance. If the work cannot be completed within the stated time frame, a time extension may not be granted without prior approval of the director of the Graduate School. Instructors will not allow graduate students to complete work for a graduate course to remove an overdue I grade without an approved time extension request. I grades are removed only by completion of deficient course work and may not be removed by repeating the course. Any unresolved I grades will be counted as F grades when computing a student’s GPA. If the student does not resume studies either at the University or another institution within the calendar year following the semester or summer session for which the I grade was recorded, the I grade cannot be removed. This requirement does not apply for field study, thesis, dissertation, directed study, independent research, or recital courses.

Grades other than I and IP that have been submitted to the Registrar’s Office can be changed only by a letter of explanation certifying that an error has been made by the instructor. This certification of error will not be valid unless approved by the instructor’s school director and the instructor’s academic dean. A request for a final grade change must be initiated by the instructor within 30 days following the end of the semester or term in which the grade was earned.

Instructors are required to follow the University Calendar by offering courses within the established enrollment period dates to avoid the issuance of IP grades. Instructors must discuss in advance with the Registrar the reasons for the awarding of IP grades. For example, valid reasons for considering the issuance of IP grades would be when the instructor anticipates that the nature of a specific graduate course or the expectations of all students (not an individual student) cannot be completed within the established enrollment period dates. Letter grades must be awarded by an agreed upon deadline between the instructor and the Registrar in the event that ‘IP’ grades are issued.

Eligibility to Remain in Graduate School

The Dean of the Graduate School will deny further continuance in graduate work to any graduate student who meets one or more of the following conditions: 

  1. Any grade lower than C; or
  2. A graduate GPA that falls below 3.00 for two consecutive semesters. 

Students will not be permitted to graduate if they have a cumulative grade point average that is below a 3.00 when all coursework has been completed. Courses for graduate credit may not be repeated without prior approval of the director of the Graduate School. When a course is repeated, both grades will be counted in determining the student’s grade point average.

Dropping and Adding Courses

Students will not be admitted to a class unless the instructor has received a roster or notice indicating proper registration from the Registrar.

Students will not be permitted to drop or add courses or make section changes after their registration is complete except with the consent of the student’s major professor, the director of the school in which the student is registered, and the director of the school in which the course or courses affected are offered. Final approval will be through the director of the Graduate School.

If registration changes are made after the deadline, a schedule change slip must be used. The proposed change is not official until the slip is completed with the proper approvals indicated and filed with the Registrar’s Office. A grade of F will be assigned to a student who withdraws from a course without following this procedure. When given permission, a student may drop a course with a notation of W as long as it is within the time limit specified by the university calendar. Withdrawals during that period carry no penalties.

Students may drop courses or may resign from the University with grades of W prior to the date specified in the university calendar. After that specified date, students may not drop a course or resign. Students who have extraordinary cases with extenuating circumstances may submit a letter of appeal, along with documentation to substantiate the case, to the director of the Graduate School. Extraordinary cases do not include dissatisfaction with an anticipated grade or the decision to change a major.

Approval of an appeal for dropping a course or resigning after the published date may be granted by the director of the Graduate School for reasons stated below and only if the reason can be officially documented to show direct due cause. If approval to drop a course is granted, the student must also have been passing the course immediately prior to the hardship, and must have applied for the approval immediately after the hardship or illness ended. The grade assigned shall be a W. If the director of the Graduate School allows the student to resign, a W grade shall be assigned in all courses. If the appeal is approved, the director will notify the instructor and the registrar. Examples of appealable cases are as follows:

  1. Illness/injury: The student must provide a letter on official stationery from the attending physician stating that the illness or injury will render the student unable to complete the course or will cause the student to miss a significant number of days so as to make it difficult to complete the course. A hospital bill may also be used; or
  2. Death of an immediate family member: The student must provide a copy of the death certificate, obituary stating relationship to the deceased, or letter from the attending clergy; or
  3. Natural disaster or exceptional traumatic event: The student must provide a written explanation of extenuating circumstances explaining how this event causes the student undue hardships. Documentation of the event should be made available as well; or
  4. National defense: The student must provide a copy of official military orders.

Grades of F will be assigned to students who do not complete the enrollment period and who have not officially dropped their courses or resigned.

An appeal for a change in official academic records must be made to the Registrar’s Office no later than 30 days after the end of the semester or term in which the alleged error in academic records occurred.

Auditing Courses

Students may be admitted to regular classes for audit as long as Graduate School admission requirements are met and the course audit fee is paid. An audit may not be changed to credit, or vice versa, after registration closes. Students auditing courses will not receive credit, nor will they be permitted to take credit examination (departmental exams) on work audited. Credit hours for courses audited are figured in fee assessment but not for certification of full-time status. Any student using a fee waiver cannot register for audit.

Changes of Curricula

After their first registration, students will not be permitted to change curricula except on the advice and consent of the academic dean/associate dean of their new college. A Change of Curriculum Request form must be used, and the proposed change is not official until the required approval has been obtained and the form has been filed in the Registrar’s Office.

When students change their major after the last date for adding courses in a semester or summer session, the change does not become effective until the next period of enrollment. The new catalog year will be the catalog year in effect for the term in which the change becomes effective. The student will be subject to regulations of the new catalog.

If participation in specific programs (e.g., intercollegiate athletics, Veterans Affairs) and/or receipt of financial aid/scholarships is based on the student’s current curriculum, the student’s eligibility may be adversely affected. Students in these circumstances should first consult with the appropriate University advisor prior to submitting the curriculum change.

Students who interrupt their college work for one or more calendar years, students who change their curriculum or students who enroll in programs requiring a new application will graduate according to the requirements of the catalog in effect at the time of their re-entry or curriculum change. It should be noted, however, that class prerequisites must be completed as prescribed by the most current catalog, regardless of the catalog or curriculum in effect for any student. Students must change catalogs if they change their major, apply for admission or readmission, or gain admission to a professional program. EXCEPTIONS: Students who change to the distance learning mode of delivery for the exact same curriculum.

Sequence and Program of Study for Graduate Degrees

Observing the following numbered sequence will assure a measured progression of events designed to maintain proper advisory and administrative procedure and assist the student in the achievement of their academic goals.

  1. When a student is admitted to a specific degree program, the director of the Graduate School will receive the recommendation of the academic school director for the unit in which the student plans to major and will appoint a major professor who will assist in planning the student’s graduate program.
  2. If the student has been admitted on a conditional or regular basis to a specific degree program, the director of the Graduate School will receive the recommendation of the student’s major professor and will appoint a graduate advisory committee for the student. This committee is composed of the student’s major professor and one to three additional faculty members representing the principal fields of study to be included in the student’s degree plan. Graduate advisory committees for students writing a field study or thesis must be composed of a minimum of three members.
  3. After the student has earned credit for nine semester hours of coursework, the major professor, the student, and the graduate advisory committee must file a formal degree plan with the Graduate School. This degree plan is subject to the approval of the director of the Graduate School. A field study or thesis, if required, will be submitted to the student’s graduate advisory committee for approval and then to the director of the Graduate School for final approval. The degree plan serves as the contract with the University and outlines the appropriate course of study for the student.

Under certain circumstances, it may be necessary to reconstruct a graduate advisory committee. When this occurs, the academic unit administrator will make the recommendation for any change to the major professor and the major professor will make the recommendation, through the academic unit administrator, for changing any other members of the committee.

The credit requirements for a master’s degree are 30 to 48 semester hours of graduate work. No more than six of these hours may be allowed for the field study or thesis requirement. At least one-half of the courses required in the major area and one-half of the overall program must be courses for which graduate credit is earned and designated as “graduate only” courses.

Regulations governing sequence and course of study requirements for doctoral programs are detailed within program descriptions for individual doctoral programs of study.

After the student has earned nine semester hours of credit under the direction of the major professor, the student and the graduate advisory committee will prepare and submit a formal degree plan to the Graduate School for approval by the director of the Graduate School.

If a change to the degree plan is necessary, the student’s major professor will complete a “Request for Change in Student Degree Plan”. This form must be signed by the student’s advisory committee and will be kept on file in the Graduate School.

Requirements for Graduate Degrees

Degree requirements are completed under the policies and regulations listed in the Graduate Catalog in effect at the time of admission. With departmental approval, however, the Graduate Catalog in effect during the semester in which degree requirements are completed may be used.

All students seeking an advanced degree must adhere to the regulations discussed in this section. Departments may have additional specific degree requirements that students must meet to receive an advanced degree.

Each student who expects to take comprehensive examinations and/or graduate must file an application to take the comprehensive examination and/or to graduate with the director of the Graduate School by the date indicated in the university calendar for the semester or summer term in which the degree is to be awarded.

To fulfill the course requirements for a master’s degree, the candidate shall present an average of no less than B on all graduate work pursued and all work in their major field, no grade lower than C, no more than six semester hours of credit with a grade of C, and a cumulative grade point average of at least 3.0.

The candidate must pass a comprehensive final examination in both the major and related areas or minor. This examination may be formatted as a written examination, oral examination, or both. It is the student’s responsibility to check their program policy and to speak to the graduate coordinator for their program to determine whether an oral exam is required. Additionally, program policy will determine the comprehensive exam content. Comprehensive examinations are not required of candidates for the Master of Education in Educational Leadership, which requires a passing score on the SLLA Examination, or for the Master of Business Administration degree. For detailed information about comprehensive examinations, please see the appropriate catalog section.

A candidate for the Master of Education or Master of Music degree with a specialty area in Music Education must hold a valid teacher’s certificate issued by the Louisiana State Department of Education or equivalent certification. The only exceptions to this regulation are the candidates for the Master of Education degree with majors in Counseling and Non-School Emphasis in Educational Technology Leadership.

Regulations governing degree requirements for doctoral programs are detailed within program descriptions for individual doctoral programs of study.

All candidates who are to receive degrees are required to be present at commencement exercises for the conferring of the degree unless the director of the Graduate School is notified, in writing, four weeks prior to graduation. The penalty for neglecting this requirement may include delay of degree conferment.

Time Limits for Graduate Degrees

All work applied toward the master’s degree must have been earned within the six years immediately preceding the completion of the graduate program. Regulations governing time limits for doctoral programs are detailed within program descriptions for individual doctoral programs of study.

Requests for Time Extensions

To utilize graduate credit taken prior to the six-year time limit for master’s degrees, the student may request a time extension. These requests must be submitted before or during the semester in which the time limit expires. Students requesting a time extension should contact their major professor, the Graduate School, or the graduate coordinator for the particular major and college involved. Regulations governing time extensions for doctoral programs are detailed within program descriptions for individual doctoral programs of study.

It is not guaranteed that a time extension will be granted. For a time extension request to be considered, the applying student must demonstrate satisfactory progress toward the degree being pursued. The student can demonstrate progress toward the degree by meeting the following standards, although meeting the below standards does not guarantee approval of the request:

  1. Have completed a minimum of 75 percent of coursework applicable toward the desired degree by the end of their fifth year; and
  2. Be enrolled in a minimum of six hours applicable toward the desired degree during the student’s sixth year of pursuit of the degree; and
  3. Be in good academic standing at the institution and within the department.

Requests for time extensions are presented to the Graduate Council for a formal recommendation to the director of the Graduate School. The director will make the final determination on whether the student’s extension will be granted. The process for requesting a time extension, as well as the dates of the Graduate Council’s meetings, are available online at ulm.edu/gradschool.

Registration in Absentia

Requests for registration in absentia should be made directly to the Director of the Graduate School. The director will make the determination whether to grant the student’s request.

Online Degrees

Students enrolled in online courses are expected to adhere to the regulations established for their respective course. All Graduate School regulations, particularly those outlined for admissions to the University of Louisiana at Monroe, are applicable to students pursuing online coursework or degrees.

To participate in online courses at ULM, students are expected to be familiar with computers and the internet. Students are responsible for obtaining access to their own software as well as computer equipment maintenance and setup. Additionally, students will need the following:

  1. High-speed internet access; and
  2. Access to a modern computer system with a supported operating system installed; and
  3. A modem or other device capable of connecting to the internet; and
  4. An internet service provider (ISP); and
  5. A modern web browser installed on the computer; and
  6. A word processing software program, such as Microsoft Word or the free OpenOffice; and
  7. Current anti-virus software that must be installed and kept up to date.

The student’s class may have other computer, software, or hardware requirements related to specific programs. These requirements may include any of the following:

  1. Multimedia plug-ins, such as Flash Player, Quicktime, or Windows Media Player; and/or
  2. Browser-based software such as JavaScript and ActiveX controls; and/or
  3. Speakers and sound cards.

For additional information on all of ULM’s available online degrees and their requirements, students can access the home of the eULM program online at www.ulm.edu/onlinedegrees.

Graduate Credit for Courses Designated for Undergraduates and Graduates

To receive graduate credit for a course designated “For Undergraduates and Graduates,” a student must be in graduate admission status at the time credit is earned in the course. Credit earned while in undergraduate admission status cannot be changed to graduate credit.

Graduate Credit for Outstanding ULM Seniors

Upon written recommendation of the academic school director and dean, and with the approval of the director of the Graduate School, a senior at the undergraduate level who has a minimum average of B on all work pursued and who lacks no more than nine hours (six for summer graduation) for the completion of a baccalaureate degree may register for a maximum of six semester hours (four in summer term) of graduate credit in courses numbered below 5000, provided the following: 

  1. The total scheduled hours shall not exceed 15 (10 in summer term); and
  2. Prior approval has been given by the student’s academic dean; and
  3. Failure to receive a bachelor’s degree at the close of the semester (or summer term) shall cause forfeiture of graduate credit for all courses taken.

Students Placed on Probation

A graduate student will be placed on academic probation if their cumulative graduate grade point average falls below a 3.00 during any semester. The student must raise their GPA to or above the 3.00 threshold by the end of the semester immediately following the semester in which they were placed on probation. If the student is unable to raise their GPA to the required minimum at the end of the probationary period, they will be denied further continuance in the Graduate School.

In calculating a student’s GPA an I grade will be equivalent to an F in the student’s GPA if the deficiency has not been met by the end of the first month of the next regular semester, or the end of the first two weeks of either summer term of attendance. Having I grades removed is the responsibility of the student.

Appeals for Readmission

A graduate student who is denied admission to, or further continuance in, the Graduate School or a specific graduate degree program may appeal through their respective college graduate committee to the Graduate Council for admission or readmission. The following supportive information must be provided:

  1. A personal letter of appeal from the student in which the student builds his/her case for readmission; and
  2. The student’s scores from the Graduate Record Examination or the Graduate Management Admission Test (MBA only); and
  3. Three letters of support from those who can attest to the student’s scholarly ability and potential. A minimum of one must be from a professor in the student’s program area at ULM. If the letter of support is coming from an educational institution, it should be on official letterhead and must be signed by the recommending party; and
  4. A copy of the student’s official degree plan with unofficial transcripts indicating the grades for all coursework completed; and
  5. Any other evidence of professional competence which will enhance the student’s appeal.

Students denied continuance who successfully appeal will be granted “good standing” status and will not need to appeal each semester, even if their GPA remains below 3.0, as long as they are making academic progress in completing their graduate degree. If a student earns a grade of D or F, however, the student must submit another appeal for continuance.

For further information please contact the Graduate School at (318) 342-1036 or the graduate coordinator for the particular major and college involved.

Privilege to Continue Enrollment in Terminated Programs

If a program is terminated either by board mandate or university request, students are allowed to continue in the program only if they maintain continuous enrollment in the program (fall and spring semesters, summer term excluded) and make progress toward the degree by earning credit. Therefore, any failure to register and earn credit toward the degree in a regular semester will result in a mandatory change of curriculum to an active program.

Student Address Change

A student must provide a local and permanent address at the time of admission to the University. Address changes must be reported to the Registrar’s Office using the appropriate form. A student is responsible for the consequences of all communications sent to the address on file in the Registrar’s Office.

Student Name Change

A student who wishes to change a name for any reason (divorce, marriage, adoption, legal name change, etc.) must complete a Name Change Form and present it with an original Social Security card bearing the desired name to the Registrar’s Office. Copies of a Social Security card are not acceptable, and no other document or form of identification will be accepted in lieu of the Social Security card. Only names which appear on the Social Security card can become part of the student’s ULM record, which will reflect the name exactly as it appears on the card.

A campus wide identification number (CWID) will be created for the name by which a student applies. If the student has attended ULM under an alternate name, or has transcripts and/or test scores submitted under an alternate name, this may cause a delay in processing the student’s application. To prevent delay, the student is asked to note all names under which their documentation may be filed to the Graduate School.