Jun 22, 2018  
2012-2013 Undergraduate Catalog 
2012-2013 Undergraduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Housing and Living Accommodations


Auxiliary Enterprises

Housing and Living Accommodations

Campus housing is under Auxiliary Enterprises www.ulm.edu/auxiliary/ and the Department of Residential Life www.ulm.edu/reslife/. First-time freshmen and new transfer students will receive necessary information to access the online Housing Application after they have been accepted to the University. Continuing students will have access to the online application during the room sign up period spring semester.

A $25 non-refundable application fee and a $200 room reservation fee must accompany every housing application for first-time freshmen and new transfer students. Current residents, who re-apply for their housing, will pay a $50 room reservation fee and a $200 prepayment of their fall housing. A student entering the Residential Life system and properly maintaining occupancy for continued semesters will only pay the application fee once. The room reservation fee of $50 and the prepayment for the fall housing fee must be paid each subsequent year prior to a student receing an assignment. Any student not returning to the residence hall system after a break in their housing, will be required to complete a new housing application and pay all associated fees prior to being assigned a room.

Students residing in university housing must abide by all university policies and procedures, the Student Code of Conduct as outlined in the Student Policy Manual and the Guide to Residence Hall Living. Both documents are located on the Residential Life website at www.ulm.edu/reslife.

ULM has an established 2.0 minimum cumulative GPA requirements for all student sliving in on-campus housing.  All students residing in the following buildings, Madison Hall, Masur Hall, Ouachita Hall, University Commons I and University Commons II must maintain at least a 2.0 cumulative GPA at all times.  Bayou Suites, the scholar’s hall, has a 3.3 cumulative GPA for continuing students and a 3.5 cumulative GPA requirement for first time freshmen.  The requirements for the Bayou Village Apartments are 2.3 cumulative GPA and 24 earned credit hours.

Available Housing

Bayou Village Apartments: The apartments are one-bedroom/one bath, two bedroom/two bath and four bedroom/two bath apartments. Each apartment is fully furnished including all kitchen appliances and a washer/dryer combination. Each apartment has its own HV/AC unit. Residents may choose an academic year contract (Fall and Spring semesters) or an academic plus summer contract (August move-in to the end of Summer II in August). The apartments do not close during the winter break.

Bayou Suites and University Commons II:  These are inside corridor buildings with two private bedrooms and a shared bath. Bayou Suites is a Scholars Hall with a required 3.3 cumulative GPA for returning students and a 3.5 cumulative GPA for first time freshmen. Each bedroom has a ceiling fan and each suite has an HV/AC unit that is controlled by the residents in the suite.

University Commons I: This building has double occupancy rooms with a shared bathroom. Each room has a ceiling fan, and individual HV/AC units. Each resident has their own closet with mirrored doors. There are laundry facilities throughout the building, a computer lab, and vending machines as well as community room for programming.

Madison (male only) and Ouachita (female only): These residence halls have double occupancy suite style rooms with a shared bathroom. Each room has digital cable TV with HBO, local phone service, high speed internet and individual HV/AC units. A laundry facility, computer lab, and vending machines are centrally located for residents’ use.

Masur Hall: This residence hall is an all-female, exterior corridor building with double occupancy and private room suites and a shared bathroom. The HVAC system is a building-wide system that is either heat or A/C. Also on site is a community building that features a large screen TV, study areas, a computer lab, laundry facility, and vending machines.

There are two contract options for the four bedroom apartments: 1) Resident may choose the academic year which goes from August move-in to the end of Summer II typically the second week of August.

Building Access: Bayou Suites, University Commons I and II, Ouachita Hall, and Bayou Village Apartments are interior corridor, controlled access buildings. Students assigned to these buildings will use their ID cards to access the buildings and are issued keys to their individual rooms. Madison Hall and Masur Hall are exterior corridor buildings with key access to their rooms.

Masur $1,115 $1,840 Per semester (Fall and Spring)
Madison $1,300 $2,145 Per semester (Fall and Spring)
Ouachita $1,300 $2,145 Per semester (Fall and Spring)
University Commons I $1,915   Per semester (Fall and Spring)
University Commons II   $2,450 Per semester (Fall and Spring)
Bayou Suites   $2,450 Per semester (Fall and Spring)
4 Bedroom, 2 Bath   $2,705 Per semester (Fall and Spring)
4 Bedroom, 2 Bath   $2,890 Per semester (Fall and Spring)
2 Bedroom, 2 Bath   $3,315 Per semester (Fall and Spring)
1 Bedroom, 1 Bath   $3,990.00 Per semester (Fall and Spring)


Comcast is our cable TV and Internet provider. All of our rooms have 159 channels of HD digital television programming, with options for premium package upgrades. All rooms have high-speed Internet connections as well as access to the wireless system. Local phone service is provided in each room; however, students are required to provide their own phone. Each residence hall and the suites have laundry facilities, vending machines for those late night snacks, study rooms and computer labs. The residence halls and suites have large screen TV’s in the community rooms. All utilities are included in the price of the room. Parking is available at the buildings for the residents. University Commons I, University Commons II and Ouachita ahve a controlled access parking area. Mails is delivered to each building and the apartments. Packages sent by FedEx or UPS are delivered and signed for at the Residential Life Office in University Commons II. Residents are notified that they have a package and given available pick it up times. Residents are required to provide identification before they will be issued the package.

Each floor has an RA who provides programs for the residents, keeps them informed about what is going on in the residence halls, apartments and other places on campus. They are “the go to” people.

Maintaining the buildings in optimum condition is important to us; therefore, a maintenance person is on call 24/7 to respond to any and all maintenance issues.

Graduate Student Housing

As a graduate student at ULM you are not limited in where you choose to live. You have multiple options ranging from traditional style residence halls, private bedroom suites or apartments. ULM has a total of three traditional style residence halls, one private bath/double occupancy building, two private bedroom/one bath suite style buildings and the Bayou Village apartment complex. For additional information please check our website at www.ulm.edu/reslife/

Housing Exemptions and Appeals


In order to be fair and consistent in considering exemptions from the on-campus residency requirement, students who believe they meet the criteria for an allowable exemption should first contact the Office of Student Services located in the Student Center, Room 239, in person for correct information concerning appropriate procedure and documentation. Students seeking exemption from the requirement must complete and submit an Off-Campus Housing Request application packet obtained in the Office of Student Services. Applicatons must be submitted no later than June 1st for the Fall semester, November 15th for the Spring semester and no later than April 15th for the Summer semester. Approval to live off campus must be granted from the Office of Student Services BEFORE the student makes any binding arrangements to live off campus. Students are cautioned about entering into binding contracts, leases or rental agreements before exemption decisions have been made. Mandatory housing, meals and associated fees may still be assessed if a student moves prior to approval. The University-endorsed allowable exemptions are:

  1. If the student will have earned 95 qualified hours prior to the beginning of the semester he/she is requesting to live off-campus.
  2. If the student’s permanent residence is in any of the exempt parishes: Bienville, Caldwell, Catahoula, East Carroll, Franklin, Jackson, LaSalle, Lincoln, Madison, Morehouse, Ouachita, Richland, Tensas, Union, West Carroll, or Winn.
  3. If the student will be living in a primary (not apartment) with a parent, grandparent, or legal guardian, in any exempt parish. Notarized letters required from home owner and parent and copy of homestead exemption.
  4. If the student is going to be residing in the same apartment/house with a brother or sister that has previously been given an exemption to live off-campus.
  5. If the student is going to be living in property owned by you, the student, or your immediate family (parents, grandparents, brother, sister or legal guardian) in any exempt parish. A copy of the deed, bill of sale, or title must be submitted along with a current utility bill.
  6. If the student is married, divorced or has a child. (documentation required)
  7. If the student is classified as a veteran with at least 24 months active duty. (DD-214 Form must be submitted).
  8. If the student suffers from a severe medical condition. (documentation required) Note: Allergies are not generally considered to be a severe medical condition.
  9. If it appears the student will suffer significant financial hardship. Financial hardship is defined as extenuating circumstances that present a financial burden on a family; [ex. death of a primary provider, loss of employment (documentation required), natural disaster.] Living off-campus simply because it is less expensive or cheaper is not considered a “financial hardship”.
  10. If the student has been out of high school for at least four (4) years.
  11. If the student has an undergraduate degree or completed four (4) semesters at a Community/Junior College.

Students who have been denied an exemption for off-campus living by the Office of Student Services may appeal to the Housing Appeals Committee. Please note that decisions rendered by the Housing Appeals Committee will be final.