In accordance with the purpose and philosophy of the University of Louisiana System and the laws of the State of Louisiana, which include the belief that true fraternalism can be nurtured only in an atmosphere of social and moral responsibility and that hazing is inconsistent with the responsibility of student organizations to conduct safe, constructive pledge education, and in order to eliminate the harmful practice of hazing, the University of Louisiana System has adopted the following policy to be followed by all students and student organizations, including but not limited to the Greek organizations, clubs, and athletic teams on its System campuses.
- No student organization shall employ a program of pledge education which includes “hazing.”
- Hazing shall be defined as:
- any action taken or situation created, whether on or off college or university property, which is life threatening to the individual; and
- kidnapping, paddling, slapping, branding, burning with cigarette, or any such activities which are life threatening to the individual or are intended to hurt or to humiliate physically or mentally.
- Hazing may include the following activities when these activities are life threatening or intended to hurt or to humiliate physically or mentally:
- physical exercise, scavenger hunts, road trips, any activity resulting in excessive fatigue, physical or psychological shocks;
- wearing apparel which is uncomfortable to the individual, or if worn publicly, is conspicuous or not normally in good taste;
- engaging in public stunts or buffoonery, hair cutting, morally degrading or humiliating games or activities, giving of food or drink (alcoholic or non-alcoholic) which is distasteful or designed to provoke nausea or inebriation;
- any form of verbal harassment, any action or situation which subjugates an individual to a condition where he/she might tend to lose self-respect or suffer injury to personal or religious values;
- any activities which interfere with the student’s scholastic responsibilities; and
- the use of obscenities and vulgarities in dress, language, or action.
- It shall be the duty of all student organization members and pledges to report immediately, in writing, any violation of this policy to the appropriate institution administrator. Any violation of this policy shall be investigated, and appropriate disciplinary action taken.