Jul 19, 2024  
2017-2018 Undergraduate Catalog 
2017-2018 Undergraduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Housing and Living Accommodations


Auxiliary Enterprises

Housing and Living Accommodations

Campus housing is under Auxiliary Enterprises www.ulm.edu/auxiliary/ and the Department of Residential Life www.ulm.edu/reslife/. First-time freshmen and new transfer students will receive necessary information to access the online Housing Application after they have been accepted to the University. Continuing students will have access to the online application during the room sign up period spring semester.

A $200 room reservation fee and a $100 prepayment of the Fall housing must accompany every housing application for first-time freshmen and new transfer students. Current residents, who re-apply for their housing, will pay a $100 room reservation fee and a $200 prepayment of their Fall housing. 

An additional $200 pre-payment fee will be due from all students by Monday, May 2nd. Any student, who does not make the May 1st pre-payment deadline, will lose their priority assignment. The room reservation fee and the pre-payment for the fall housing fee must be paid each subsequent year prior to a student receiving an assignment.

Students residing in campus housing must abide by all university policies and procedures; the policies and procedures are outlined in the Student Policy Manual, and the Guide to Residence Hall Living. Both documents are located on the Residential Life website at www.ulm.edu/res life.

ULM has an established 2.0 minimum cumulative GPA requirement for all students living in on-campus housing.

  • All students residing in the following buildings, Madison Hall, Masur Hall, and Ouachita Hall must maintain at least a 2.0 cumulative GPA at all times.
  • University Commons and University Suites residents must maintain at least a 2.5 cumulative GPA at all times.
  • University Suites and Bayou Village Apartments building 7 must maintain at least a 2.5 cumulative GPA at all times.
  • Bayou Suites, the scholar’s hall, has a 3.3 cumulative GPA requirement for continuing students and a 3.5 cumulative GPA requirement for first time freshmen.
  • The requirements for the Bayou Village Apartments, buildings 5 and 6 are the same as Bayou Suites.

Meal Plan

All students living in on-campus housing and taking classes (WEB classes included) are required to contract for a meal plan. ON-CAMPUS MEAL PLAN CONTRACT  

Important: Students with apartment contracts for the academic year plus summer, and participating in internships, or clinical rotations are required to contract for a meal plan unless prior approval for an exemption is granted. Prior approval requests are due by May 20th and must be approved by the Executive Director of Auxiliary Enterprises.


Available Housing

Bayou Village Apartments: The apartments are one-bedroom/one bath, two-bedroom/two bath and four bedroom/two bath apartments. Each apartment is fully furnished including all kitchen appliances and a washer/dryer combination. There is plenty of counter space, cabinets and a pantry in the kitchen. Each apartment has its own HV/AC unit. Residents in the four bedroom apartments may choose an academic year contract (Fall and Spring semesters) or an academic plus summer contract (August move-in to the end of Summer II in August). The one and two bedroom apartment contract period is August move into to the end of Summer II. The apartments do not close during the winter break.

Bayou Suites and University Suites:  These are inside corridor buildings with two private bedrooms and a shared bath. Bayou Suites is a Scholars Hall with a required 3.3 cumulative GPA for returning students and a 3.5 cumulative GPA for first time freshmen. Each bedroom has a ceiling fan and each suite has an HV/AC unit that is controlled by the residents in the suite.

University Commons: This building has double occupancy rooms with a shared bathroom. The room has a ceiling fan, and individual HV/AC unit. Each resident has their own closet with mirrored doors. There are laundry facilities throughout the building and vending machines as well as community room for programming.

Madison (male only): This residence hall has double occupancy suite style rooms with a shared bathroom. Each room has individual HV/AC units. Madison is an exterior corridor building. There is a laundry facility, computer lab, vending machines, and a community room with a large screen TV centrally located for residents’ use.

Masur Hall: This residence hall is an all-female, exterior corridor building with double occupancy or private room suites, and a shared bathroom. All the rooms have individual HV/AC units. Residents will have the option of heat or air at any time. Also on site is a community building that features a large screen TV, study areas, a computer lab, laundry facility, and a computer lab.

Ouachita Hall (female only). This residence hall is an interior corridor building with card access. There are laundry facilities on all floors, computer lab on the first floor and vending machines are also located on the first floor. There is a community room with a large screen TV and a kitchen for the use of the residents.

CONTRACT TERMS:  The contract term for residence halls and suites is the academic year (August to May). There are two contract options for the four bedroom apartments:

  • The academic year which goes from August move-in to the end of the end of the spring semester in May
  • The academic year plus summer which is August move in to summer II move out

The only option for the one and two-bedroom apartments is the academic year plus summer. (August to August). Students living in the apartments cannot cancel their housing contract mid-year unless they withdraw from the university.

Building Access: Bayou Suites, University Commons and Suites, Ouachita Hall, and Bayou Village Apartments are interior corridor, controlled access buildings. Students assigned to these buildings will use their ID cards to access the buildings and are issued keys to their individual rooms. Madison Hall and Masur Hall are exterior corridor buildings with key access to their rooms.

Residential Life 2017-2018 Housing Rates

Masur Hall $1,341 $2,154 Fall, Spring
Madison Hall $1,453 $2,403 Fall, Spring
Ouachita Hall $1,453 $2,403 Fall, Spring
University Commons (Double Occupancy) $2,141 N/A Fall, Spring
University Suites (Private Rooms)  N/A $2,737 Fall, Spring
Bayou Suites (Private Rooms)  N/A $2,737 Fall, Spring
4 Bedroom, 2 Bath   $2,995 Per semester (Fall and Spring) - Academic Year
4 Bedroom, 2 Bath   $3,195 Per semester (Fall and Spring) - Academic Plus Summer
2 Bedroom, 2 Bath   $3,648 Per semester (Fall and Spring) - Academic Plus Summer
1 Bedroom, 1 Bath   $4,318 Per semester (Fall and Spring) - Academic Plus Summer



Dish is the University cable TV provider and ULM computing center is the Internet provider. All of the rooms have 78 channels of SD/HD digital television programming. All rooms have high-speed Internet connections as well as access to the wireless system. Each residence hall and the suites have laundry facilities, vending machines for those late night snacks, study rooms and computer labs. The residence halls and suites have large screen TV’s in the community rooms. All utilities are included in the price of the room. Parking is available at the buildings for the residents. University Commons, University Suites and Ouachita have a controlled access parking area. Mail is delivered to each building and the apartments. Packages sent by FedEx or UPS are delivered and signed for at the Residential Life Office in University Suites. Residents are notified that they have a package and given available pick up times. Residents are required to provide identification before they will be issued the package.

Each building has a Hall Director and each floor has a Resident Assistant (RA) who provides programs for the residents, keeps them informed about what is going on in the residence halls, apartments and other places on campus. They are “the go to” people.

Maintaining the buildings in optimum condition is important to us; therefore, a maintenance person is on call to respond to any and all maintenance issues. There is also a maintenance person to handle emergencies after normal business hours and on weekends.

Graduate Student Housing

As a graduate student at ULM you are not limited in where you choose to live. You have multiple options ranging from traditional style residence halls, private bedroom suites or apartments. ULM has a total of three traditional style residence halls, one private bath/double occupancy building, two private bedroom/one bath suite style buildings and the Bayou Village apartment complex. For additional information please check our website at www.ulm.edu/reslife/

Housing Exemptions and Appeals


Students who believe they meet the criteria for an allowable exemption must complete and submit an Off-Campus Housing Request application along with a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) and/or other required supporting documentation.

Applications Deadlines:

May 1st (Fall semester)

November 15th (Spring semester)

April 15th (Summer semesters)

Approval to live off campus must be granted from the Auxiliary Enterprise Office BEFORE the student makes any binding arrangements to live off campus. Students are cautioned about entering into binding contracts, leases or rental agreements before exemption decisions have been made. Mandatory housing, meals and associated fees may still be assessed if a student moves prior to approval.

The University-endorsed allowable exemptions are:

  1. If the student will have earned 75 qualified hours prior to the beginning of the semester he/she is requesting to live off-campus.
  2. If the student’s permanent residence is in any of the exempt parishes: Bienville, Caldwell, Catahoula, East Carroll, Franklin, Jackson, LaSalle, Lincoln, Madison, Morehouse, Ouachita, Richland, Tensas, Union, West Carroll, or Winn.
  3. If the student will be living in a primary (not apartment) with a parent, grandparent, or legal guardian, in any exempt parish. Notarized letters required from home owner and parent and copy of homestead exemption.
  4. If the student is going to be residing in the same apartment/house with a brother or sister that has previously been given an exemption to live off-campus.
  5. If the student is going to be living in property owned by you, the student, or your immediate family (parents, grandparents, brother, sister or legal guardian) in any exempt parish. A copy of the deed, bill of sale, or title must be submitted along with a current utility bill.
  6. If the student is married, divorced or has a child. (documentation required)
  7. If the student is classified as a veteran with at least 24 months active duty. (DD-214 Form must be submitted).
  8. If the student suffers from a severe medical condition. (documentation required) Note: Allergies are not generally considered to be a severe medical condition.
  9. If it appears the student will suffer significant financial hardship. Financial hardship is defined as extenuating circumstances that present a financial burden on a family; [ex. death of a primary provider, loss of employment (documentation required), natural disaster.] Living off-campus simply because it is less expensive or cheaper is not considered a “financial hardship”.
  10. If the student has been out of high school for at least four (4) years.
  11. If the student has an undergraduate degree or completed two (2) semesters at a Community/Junior College; they may reside off campus with the proper paperwork from the Auxiliary Enterprise Office.
  12. Transfer students accepted into professional programs may reside off-campus with the proper paper work from the Auxiliary Enterprise Office.
  13. Transfer students from a four-year institution, with at least 60 hours completed my reside off-campus.

Students who have been denied an exemption for off-campus living by the Auxiliary Enterprise Office may appeal to the Housing Appeals Committee. Please note that decisions rendered by the Housing Appeals Committee will be final.


Students are cautioned about entering into binding contracts, leases or rental agreements before exemption decisions have been made. Mandatory housing, meals and associated fees may still be assessed if a student moves prior to approval of their exemption request. Students and their parent/guardians are advised that neither a lack of awareness nor a failure to read or review any University or System Board policy provisions will cause any such policy to lose neither force nor effect. Students and legal guardians are responsible for adherence to all student policies and should follow the University’s established policies. Further, it is both a student’s and guardian’s responsibility to use reasonable care and promptness when examining all University polices. 

The above information also applies to students who are required to live on campus yet wait until very late to apply for campus housing.  ULM’s assignment process continues until the 14th day of class and should a bed become available, charges and fees as listed above may be applied to a student’s account.  Applying late is not an exemption to live on campus.


All applications should be submitted to the Auxiliary Enterprise Office (Sandel Hall 387) by or before deadlines:

May 1st (Fall semester)

November 15th (Spring semester)

April 15th (Summer semesters)

Failure to adhere to the deadlines listed above may result in the Off-Campus application being rejected and/or denied for the requested semester.

Appeals will be heard by the Housing Appeals Committee when in session. The Housing Appeals Committee’s decision is final.

Housing Pre-Payment fees will be forfeited if exemption is granted after the designated deadline dates.


To provide for an efficient expedition of your application to live off campus, you should adhere to the following procedure:

STEP 1 START EARLY  Begin the process thirty (30) days prior, to the first day of registration for the semester the exemption will be effective. Application deadlines will be observed.

STEP 2 READ THE ON-LINE INFORMATION   Review the Off-Campus Housing Policy, allowable exemptions and other important information.

  • DO NOT send others to conduct your business.
  • DO NOT make any binding off-campus living arrangements before you are granted off-campus approval.

STEP 3 COMPLETE AN APPLICATION (Off Campus Housing Request Form) to seek off-campus approval or exemption. Attach supporting documents to the completed “Off-Campus Housing Request Form.”

Required Documentation:




STEP 4 SUBMIT COMPLETED FORMS along with the other required documentation to the Auxiliary Enterprise Office.

  • You must provide notarized letters from relatives. 
  • You must use a ULM MEDICAL RECORDS RELEASE FORM  for your doctor to send records to ULM.
  • You must provide a COPY OF THE DEED for property owned by you or your family.
  • You must provide a copy of the title to a trailer owned by you or your family along with a utility receipt.      

COMPLETED FORMS AND DOCUMENTATION must be mailed or delivered to the ULM Office of Auxiliary Enterprise, 700 University Avenue, Sandel Hall 387, Monroe LA 71209-5400. When requesting forms by mail, please enclose a stamped, self-addressed, legal size envelope. Forms are available at website www.ulm.edu/reslife/exemption.html

The completed Off-Campus Housing Request form and required documentation will be accepted in the Auxiliary Enterprise Office until the noted deadline(s). 

Failure to submit all of the required documentation and/or completed forms may result in the application being denied and / or discarded. 

The Off Campus Exemption forms are located on the Residential Life website at www.ulm.edu/reslife/exemption.html and in the Auxiliary Enterprise Office in Sandel Hall 387.

STEP 5 YOU WILL RECEIVE A RESPONSE VIA EMAIL in regard to whether you have been granted approval or have been denied.

You will be CLEARED TO REGISTER once your application has been approved.

Students who have been denied an exemption for off-campus living by the Auxiliary Enterprise Office may appeal to the Housing Appeals Committee. Please note that decisions rendered by the Housing Appeals Committee will be final.


To expedite the process, individuals seeking an exemption to the University of Louisiana System’s mandatory on-campus housing requirement are strongly encouraged to meet with the Off-campus Housing Officer in the Auxiliary Enterprise Office (Sandel Hall 387).

Applicants should review, fill out and submit only those forms requested for the allowable exemption.

Applicants seeking exemption to the University of Louisiana System’s mandatory on-campus housing requirement must meet any one (1) of the University’s allowable exemptions and perform the prescribed procedures before being considered.

Applicants will read and explicitly follow all steps prior to submitting their written appeal to the Auxiliary Enterprise Office (Sandel Hall 387). Students are responsible for contacting the Office of Residential Life/Housing and the Auxiliary Enterprise Office in regard to the status of their application. 


  1. Student may appeal in writing, to the Housing Appeals Committee within 3 business days, regarding the determination made by the Auxiliary Enterprise Office.
  2. Submit the appeal letter to the Office of the Vice President of Student Affairs, Library 612. An appointment will be scheduled when the Housing Appeals Committee is in session.
  3. A determination will be made by the Housing Appeals Committee, based on the information received, and/or specifically the student’s appeal letter and supporting documentation.
  4. ​Student may appeal the Housing Appeals Committee’s decision, by submitting an appeal in writing, to the Executive Director of Auxiliary Enterprises, Sandel Hall 387.
  5. The final decision will be made by the Executive Director of Auxiliary Enterprises.

Allergies are not generally considered to be a severe medical condition. Residential Life staff will assist students by providing (when possible) compatible roommate/suite mate situations and special janitorial/maintenance assistance to assure a reasonably controlled environment. In addition, students may take the same special control measures in the residence hall as they would in an off-campus residence. Based on these precautions, the University does not grant off-campus exemptions for allergies. The Housing Appeals Committee has previously ruled that students should first notify the Housing Office of their condition. Residential Life will then set up a maintenance program to provide a reasonable environment. 

NOTE: The university reserves the right to amend this policy at any given time. Should HOUSING reach full capacity the university reserves the right to make exceptions accordingly.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: Please refer to the most current information in the following locations: (revised 2015)

ULM Student Policy Manual: www.ulm.edu/studentpolicy/

ULM Residential Life Office: www.ulm.edu/reslife/

Office of Auxiliary Enterprise, Sandel Hall 387, (318) 342-5242